Search This Blog

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sunday bake

As I wrote yesterday, I was going to bake some buns today -and I did. Boys absolutely loved it, and that always makes me happy :)


Here's my very simple recipe;

  • 4dl sugar
  • 100 grams butter
  • 1litre milk
  • 2 sachets dried yeast
  • Flour to right consistency (around 1,5-2kg)




This recipe is big, many times I just half it, but today I wanted to make loads ;) .

Here's how you do it;
Melt the butter and warm up the milk to around 38-40 degrees (bit warmer than bodytemp). Mix the yeast into the milk. Add sugar and some of the flour into a mixing bowl (i use a Kenwood machine), add milk and melted butter. As you mix the dough, you will have to add more flour until the dough is kneadable.

Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel etc., and leave to rise for a couple of hours.
Once the dough has doubled, you knead it and cut it into small pieces (around 70 grams each). Roll them into buns and put on a baking tray covered with bakingpaper. Cover with kitchen towel and leave to rise for another 20-30 minutes.
Brush the buns with egg yolk and milk mixed together (I use 2 egg yolks and a dash of milk). Cook in the oven at 200 Celsius until golden, around 10-12 minutes.



As I was already at it, I made some horns, using the same dough. I really love these. Inside the horns I use a mixture of ground almonds, egg whites and icing sugar, mixed together to a thick, sticky consistency. (Custard or a apple/cinnamon filling is also very tasty).
Roll out some of the dough to a big circle approx. 50-60cm/diameter. Cut into 12 pieces using a pizza cutter. Fill the thickest end with your filling, and roll them up. Make sure to squeeze the ends together so that none of the filling leaks out during cooking. Leave to rise for 20-30 minutes, brush with egg yolk/milk mix and cook until golden at 200 Celsius for 10-12 minutes.

The recipe makes around 25-30 buns and 12 horns

 Some of the finished product ;)



I served the buns with whipped cream and homemade strawberry and raspberry jam...juuummyyy!

Indulge! :-)


SolgunnX


Ps. Happy Mothers Day to all Norwegian mums out there! <3

No comments: